When there is fever in children, everyone in the house gets upset because the baby keeps crying because of the fever. In such cases, it is important to reassure the baby without being in fear. Parent must know the dosage of the syrup for fever so that in case of emergency they can treat the fever of baby. So lets understand how fever comes to the children and how to deal with it.
What is a fever in a children?
If the child has a fever, you should not measure it with his hands on his head or hands on his chest. It is important to measure the temperature with a digital thermometer.
The baby’s body temperature is usually 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit. When a digital thermometer is placed in the armpit and its temperature is above 100 degrees Fahrenheit, it has a fever.
It is best to use a digital thermometer rather than mercury thermometer as the mercury thermometer is made of glass and contains mercury, which is highly toxic.
What to do when there is fever in children?
When the baby has a fever and the thermometer is at 100 degrees Fahrenheit, give the baby the fever medicine near you. Give paracetamol at 15 mg per kg or give your baby the dose prescribed by your doctor.
If the baby’s fever does not go down or increase within half an hour after taking the medicine, the baby’s body and limbs should be wiped with lukewarm water or bathed, so the baby’s fever goes down immediately.
If fever of baby is more than 103 degree farenheit, you should immediately contact your pediatrician as such high grade fever is not good for your baby.
What are the causes of fever in children?
There can be many reasons for a baby to have a fever
The most common cause of fever is that if the body is infected. These germs may be viruses or bacteria.
When these germs enter the body, the body temperature is suitable for their growth. In this case, the thermostat in our body means the hypothalamus in the brain, raises the body temperature to destroy those germs. Different germs can also have different fever times.
- Typhoid has a constant high fever.
- Tuberculosis causes fever in the evening.
- Dengue causes body aches along with fever.
Although a rise in body temperature kills germs, some germs may not be killed at a time when antibiotics may be needed to reduce the risk of infection.
The causes of fever are as follows
- If baby having viral or bacterial infection
- Cold and cough
- Tuberculosis, pneumonia, flu
- Urinary tract infection
- Dehydration may lead to fever.
Fever may occur one to two days after vaccination.
Read Pneumonia in children and Flu in children
What are symptoms of fever in children?
- The body may have become very hot.
- The baby may be crying irritably.
- The baby may not be taking anything by mouth.
- The baby will be lethargic.
- The baby may have a cold.
Parents need to measure the baby’s fever if any of the above symptoms are noticed. If your baby is under three months old and has a fever, it is important to contact your doctor right away.
If fever in newborn baby is high, which you can measure with the help of digital thermometer in the axilla, baby become drowsy, do not breastfeed well, excessively cry so if you find any of these symptoms then you should immediately contact your pediatric doctor.
What to do to reduce fever?
First of all, if there is a fever medicine in the house, it should be given. Paracetamol syrup for fever should be given according to the weight of the baby. The side effects of the drug are minimal so they can be given every six hours.
- Baby clothes should be loose.
- If the fever does not go away even after giving medicine, sponge with lukewarm water.
- Take the baby outdoors.
- Keep fresh air rooming in the room.
What not to do to reduce fever?
- The baby should not be wrapped in wet clothes.
- The baby should not be covered with a sweater or rug.
- Do not bathe the baby with ice water.
- Don’t crowd too many people near the baby.
When to consult a doctor in case of fever?
- There will be continuous fever for two-three days
- Decreased urination
- Baby is not eating well
- Acne on body accompanied by fever
- If baby having difficulty in breathing
- There will be headaches, body aches
- Baby is having extreme weakness
- If baby suffer from convulsion
It is important to monitor the child’s eating and drinking without panicking when a fever develops, but it is important to consult your doctor immediately if any of the above symptoms appear.
What diet to eat in fever?
- First of all, if you have a fever, drink plenty of water.
- Apart from oily foods, other healthy foods can be eaten.
- Can take fruit or fruit juice.
- Baby can eat rice, curd rice, dal khichadi.
What are complications of fever in children ?
Fever is not a disease but a symptom but there are some complications of fever.
- Febrile seizure
Fever can occur in young children between the ages of six months and five years. seizure can occur when the fever rises or falls. Two to five percent of children can suffer from febrile seizure.
It is important to give your child as much water as possible when they have a fever but it is important to consult a doctor immediately if your child become very lethargic.
- Blabbering (Hallucination)
Often when the body temperature goes above 103 degrees Fahrenheit, talking about things that are not in front of you like blabbering is a sign of hallucination.
Paracetamol syrup for kids
- Most commonly used syrup for fever is paracetamol syrup for kids. It is one of the safe syrup which can be used in children. Try to use it after consulting your doctor but you can easily use it in case of emergency.
- Proper dose according to the weight is essential. Most of the syrup provide dose as per weight of the baby But if it is not provided then you can give paracetamol syrup in the dose of 15 mg/kg body weight.
- Most common use of paracetamol syrup in children is for fever. But it can be used for bodyache, headache, muscle ache.
- Paracetamol syrup for kids can be used three to four times a day. So do not give it recurrently as it may lead to toxicity.
- Calpol drops can be used in children less than 6 months of age. After 6 months of age, paracetamol syrup can be used as weight of the child is increased.
Brands of Paracetamol Syrup
There are various brands of paracetamol syrup available in the market. Paracetamol syrup names as follow
- Calpol Syrup : Calpol syrup is manufactured by gsk pharma company. It is available in calpol 120 mg/ 5ml and calpol 250 mg/5ml bottle. Calpol drops is available in 100mg / ml bottle. Read more
Frequently Asked Questions
How much fever is high for children ?
Body temperature more than 100.4 F on thermometer is fever. If it is above 103, then it is high grade fever at such time it is better to consult your pediatrician.
When to worry about fever in children?
It is always worrisome to have fever in children but try to give antipyretic medicine to your baby. If fever do not subside after giving it then consult your pediatrician immediately.
How can I reduce my child’s fever naturally?
Dress your child with light clothes, let him encourage for drinking plenty of water. If fever not subsiding then sponge your baby with lukewarm water so that fever will decrease in few minutes.
Which antibiotic should i use for fever?
You must not use any kind of antibiotic for fever without consultation of your doctor as you may not know which infection you are suffering from. So consult your doctor and take medication prescribed by him.
Should i keep paracetamol syrup in referigerator?
It is not recommanded to keep paracetamol in refrigerator. You can keep paracetamol syrup bottle at room temperature.
After reading the above information, you will know exactly what to do when your child has a fever. If you liked the article above, be sure to share.
18 thoughts on “4 Best way to deal Fever in children”