Pegclear syrup is a colorless, clear laxative syrup used for the treatment of constipation. Pegclear is safely used in children for the treatment of constipation. So let’s understand the Pegclear syrup uses in this article.
What is Pegclear syrup ?
Pegclear syrup is polyethylene glycol syrup whose molecular weight is 3350 Daltons which is mainly used for the treatment of constipation in children and adults.
Pegclear syrup is manufactured by Lupin limited. It is marketed in a 200 ml pack by Zuventus Healthcare Ltd.
What are the contents of Pegclear syrup?
Each 25 ml Pegclear syrup contains :
- Polyethylene Glycol 3350 USP : 13.125 gm
- Sodium Chloride : 0.3507 gm
- Sodium Bicarbonate : 0.1785 gm
- Potassium Chloride : 0.0466 gm
Measuring cup is provided with the Pegclear syrup bottle. The measuring cup has marking of 12.5 ml, 25 ml, 50 ml, 75 ml, 100ml.
What is the action of Pegclear Syrup ?
Polyethylene glycol present in Pegclear syrup has osmotic action on the gut which is ultimately responsible for smooth passage of stool. So, polyethylene glycol increases volume of the stool and acts on the neuromuscular pathways of the colon which increases peristalsis and facilitates defecation. Colon means large intestine.
Polyethylene glycol remains unchanged in the intestine. It is virtually not absorbed from the intestine. If any amount of drug is absorbed, it gets excreted in the urine.
Electrolytes present in Pegclear like sodium chloride, sodium bicarbonate and potassium chloride acts on the mucosal lining of the colon for the exchange of water so hard stool present in the colon gets liquefy without causing any electrolyte imbalance which ultimately helps to pass the stool out of the body. So ultimately Pegclear syrup causes stool softening which reduces difficulty in defecation.
What is the dose of Pegclear syrup ?
The treatment of constipation with syrup should not normally extend more than 2 weeks. But in cases of chronic constipation or resistance constipation, it can be given for the long term.
- Dose of Pegclear Syrup for Adults, adolescents and elderly :
25 ml of syrup is diluted in 100 ml of water two times a day according to the individual response for 7-10 days. If individual need it for prolonged use, then 25 ml of syrup diluted in 100 ml of water is to be taken at night regularly.
Pegclear syrup dosage for Adults must be taken as per recommended.
- Dose of Pegclear Syrup for Children :
Children aged 2 to 6 years : Daily 12.5 ml syrup diluted in 50 ml of water at Night. If Children are not able to take such high volume, then 12.5 ml of syrup is diluted in 12.5 ml of water given at night.
Children aged 7 to 11 years : Daily 25 ml syrup diluted in 100 ml of water at Night. If Children are not able to take such high volume, then 25 ml of syrup is diluted in 25 ml of water given at night.
Pegclear syrup dosage for children must be taken as per recommended.
The dose of the syrup should be adjusted as required to produce regular soft stools. If a patient needs more dose, it is best done on the second day. Maximum dose of the Pegclear do not exceed more than 50 ml per day.
Pegclear must not be taken undiluted. Always dilute the syrup with the same volume of the water. Any unused diluted syrup must be discarded within 24 hours.
What are Pegclear syrup uses ?
Pegclear syrup uses are :
- It acts as laxative, purgative and helpful in patients of abdominal surgery to clear the gut contents.
- Most useful benefit of Pegclear syrup is for chronic constipation who have difficulty in passing stool as it softens stool and improves peristalsis of the gut.
- Pegclear is safely used in children above 2 years of age. You must give the proper dose as advised by your doctor.
What is constipation ?
Constipation means passage of hard stool due to slow movement of intestine and absorption of water from stool. It is painful to pass stool.
You must follow proper diet and lifestyle as follows:
- Maintain a balanced diet with green vegetables, fresh fruits including a fiber diet like banana, orange, apple, sweet potato, spinach broccoli.
- Drink enough water daily and stay hydrated.
- Daily exercise improves circulation of the gut which helps to relieve constipation.
- Have 8 hours of daily sleep.
Diet plays very important role in constipation. As you have started pegclear syrup treatment, you must make changes in your diet as it will help you to recover from the constipation early.
How is Pegclear Syrup stored ?
- Store the Pegclear at a temperature less than 30 degree centigrade.
- Do not keep the syrup in the refrigerator.
- Protect the syrup from direct sunlight.
- Keep the syrup bottle away from reach of the children.
- Keep diluted solution covered if not used and discard it within 24 hours of dilution.
- Discard the syrup bottle within 30 days of opening.
- Shake the bottle before use.
What are side effects of Pegclear Syrup ?
Most common side effects of the Pegclear Syrup are gastrointestinal tract related. As the syrup has action over the gastrointestinal tract, loose motions may be seen in some patients. In such patients, dose reduction may be needed.
Very rarely some patients may suffer from abdominal pain, vomiting, nausea, abdominal distension, flatulence.
If a patient suffers from oedema, shortness of breath, increased fatigue, dehydration, then Pegclear syrup must be stopped immediately. Consult your treating doctor urgently. There may be electrolyte imbalance.
Most commonly, we may not see any side effects in patients but if a patient suffers from any of the above side effects, the patient should consult a treating doctor.
What precautions to take while taking Pegclear syrup ?
- During Pregnancy : Polyethylene glycol is not systemically absorbed so it is safe during pregnancy. Always consult your doctor before use.
- During Breastfeeding : Pegclear syrup ingredients do not absorb systemically so it is not secreted in breast milk. So it is safe to take while breastfeeding the baby.
- Alcohol Consumption : Polyethylene glycol does not have any interaction with alcohol. Always consult your doctor before consuming alcohol with syrup.
- Driving : Pegclear does not have any effect on the ability of driving or operating any machine.
- Liver & Kidney Disease : Always consult your doctor first then if advised by doctor then only take the proper dose.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to drink Pegclear Syrup ?
Pegclear syrup is provided with a measuring cup with marking of volume. So you must take proper recommended dose by measuring the cup and drink it. Always shake the bottle before use.
What is the best time to take stool softner ?
Best time to take stool softner is before bedtime as during night time we do not move much so action of softner is very much effective.
Can you take Pegclear everyday ?
As per condition of constipation, if individual having more problem then he can take syrup for long time. It does not produce any adverse effect on your body.
Which foods cause constipation ?
Dairy products, egg, high fat containing meat, low water intake are common causes responsible for constipation.
Does PEG available in powder form ?
PEG is available in powder form as well but you must take proper dose of powder form as advised by your doctor.
Is Pegclear syrup habit forming ?
Pegclear is not habit forming syrup as the polyethylene glycol content of the syrup is not absorbed systematically.
Can I take Pegclear syrup along with anticonvulsants ?
Pegclear reduces absorption of anticonvulsant drug so effect of anticonvulsant get reduced. So always take advise from your doctor before using syrup.