Maxtra P Drops are used for the treatment of cold, runny nose in babies below 2 years of age. Lets understand Maxtra P Drops uses in this article.
What are Maxtra P Drops ?
Maxtra P Oral Drops are decongestant drops which are used for the treatment of cold, blocked nose, watery eyes in the babies. There are different Maxtra syrups for different treatment of different age groups. Maxtra Drops are manufactured by Zuventus Healthcare Pvt Ltd.
What is the content of Maxtra P Oral Drops ?
Maxtra P Oral Drops contain Phenylephrine 2.5 mg and Chlorpheniramine 1 mg and Paracetamol 125 mg per 1 ml.
What is the action of Maxtra P drops ?
Maxtra P oral drops has following action according to its content
- Phenylephrine : Phenylephrine is decongestant drug and alpha 1 adrenergic agonist drug which causes vasoconstriction of vessels of upper respiratory tract which ultimately reduces swelling and edema from the nose. Phenylephrine is absorbed from the intestinal tract and metabolised by monoamine oxidase and it gets excreted in the urine.
- Chlorpheniramine : Chlorpherniramine is an H1 receptor antagonist which is one of the antiallergen agent which reduces allergic manifestations of respiratory tract infection. It is absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and actions start in 2 hours and last for 5-6 hours.
- Paracetamol : Paracetamol is an analgesic and antipyretic drug which decreases prostaglandin synthesis to reduce fever in babies. It also helps to decrease pain associated with respiratory tract infections.
What are Maxtra P Drops uses ?
- Cold : Babies who are suffering from nasal congestion, watery nose and blocked nose. Cold in babies is most commonly caused by rhinovirus. Maxtra P drops help to relieve nasal congestion as well as sneezing due to its antihistamine action. If you use Nasoclear nasal drops along with Maxtra P drops then it will help your baby to recover from cold early.
- Flu Like Illness : Flu in children caused by Influenza virus. Baby suffers from high grade fever, cold and cough with decreased appetite. Maxtra P drops are useful in children having the flu to relieve nasal congestion symptoms.
- Allergic Rhinitis : Allergic rhinitis causes watery discharge from the nose of the baby as well as it causes repeated sneezing. Maxtra P drops contain anti-allergic agent which reduce symptoms associated with allergic rhinitis.
- Cold with Fever : Some babies suffer from fever along with cold, Maxtra P drops useful in such babies to reduce fever along with cold.
What are side effects of Maxtra P drops ?
- Dry Mouth
Every patient do not suffer from each and every side effect. If your baby suffers from any of these side effects then you must consult your treating doctor as early as possible.
What are contraindications of Maxtra P Drops ?
Patient having following conditions must avoid to take Maxtra P drops :
- Hypersensitivity to drops contents
- Closed angle Glaucoma
- Patient taking MAO Inhibitor since 14 days
- Prostate Enlargement
How to Give Maxtra P Drops to Your Baby ?
Maxtra P Drops is provided with calibrated measuring dropper with marking from 0.1 ml to 1 ml.
You must give the Maxtra P drops dose to your baby as per your doctor’s prescription. It can be given with or without food.
- Always shake the Drops bottle before use.
- Give Drops at the proper time as prescribed.
- Keep Drops bottles out of reach of the children.
- Keep the Drops bottle at room temperature and do not keep it in freeze.
- Give the proper dose as prescribed by your doctor.
What is the dose of Maxtra P Drops ?
The dose of the Maxtra P Drops is given as prescribed by the doctor.
The dose of Maxtra P Drops for Babies below 1 year of age is 0.5 ml 8 hourly.
The dose of Maxtra P Drops for Babies between 1 year to 2 years of age is 1 ml 8 hourly.
The duration of treatment is mostly for 3-4 days. Always follow the advice of your doctor while giving Drops to your baby.
|Age of the baby||Dosage of Maxtra P Drops every 8 Hour|
|Below 1 year||0.5 ml|
|1 year to 2 Year||1 ml|
- Give Drops dose with the help of calibrated measuring dropper provided.
- Always keep the measuring dropper clean after use.
- If the baby spits out a dose immediately, then you can give another dose of drops after 10-15 minutes later.
What precautions to take while taking Maxtra P drops ?
- During Driving : You must avoid taking drops if you have to drive as it can cause dizziness to some extent or you have to avoid driving.
- During Pregnancy : Always consult your treating doctor before taking drops.
- During Breastfeeding : If you are breastfeeding your baby, then you must first consult your baby’s doctor whether to take the drops or not.
- Liver Disease & Kidney Disease : Consultation call with your doctor is very much important before taking maxtra p drops in liver and Kidney Disease
- Alcohol consumption : You must avoid drinking alcohol as it will increase dizziness which is very harmful.
Above Precautions are applicable if the drops are taken by adults accidently.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between Maxtra drops and Maxtra p drops ?
Maxtra P drops contain Paracetamol which helps to reduce fever as well as dose of the chlorpheniramine is also lower then Maxtra drops.
Can Maxtra P drops be used for the cough ?
Maxtra P drops contain antihistamine agent Chlorpheniramine which helps to reduce cough.
At what age can you take Maxtra P drops ?
You can give Maxtra P Drops to your baby below 2 years of age. Always give a dose of the drops as prescribed by your doctor.
Does Maxtra P drops make babies sleep ?
Maxtra P drops contain chlorpheniramine which is one of the anti histaminic drugs which make babies sleep to some extent.
Can I give Maxtra P drops to a 1 year old baby ?
Yes. You can give Maxtra P drops for babies less than 1 year of age. Give the proper dose as prescribed by your doctor.