Maxtra syrup is one of the most widely used decongestant syrup against cold and runny nose. It is a well known brand name for the treatment of nasal congestion.
What is Maxtra ?
It is anti cold syrup used in children for the treatment of cold, blocked nose, sneezing, watery eyes. It is manufactured by Zuventus Healthcare Ltd Company.
What types of Maxtra are available in the market ?
The types of syrup are as follow
- Maxtra Syrup
- Maxtra P DS Syrup
- Maxtra Drops
What is the content of Maxtra Syrup ?
It contains Phenylephrine and Chlorpheniramine maleate. Each 5 ml of syrup contains 5 mg phenylephrine and 2 mg chlorpheniramine maleate.
What is the content of Maxtra P Syrup ?
This P syrup contains Paracetamol along with Phenylephrine and Chlorpheniramine maleate. Each 5 ml of syrup contains 125 mg Paracetamol, 5 mg phenylephrine and 1 mg chlorpheniramine maleate.
What is the content of Maxtra P DS Syrup ?
This P DS syrup contains a higher dose of Paracetamol along with Phenylephrine and Chlorpheniramine maleate. Each 5 ml of syrup contains 250 mg Paracetamol, 5 mg phenylephrine and 2 mg chlorpheniramine maleate.
What is the content of Maxtra Drops ?
This Drops contain Phenylephrine and Chlorpheniramine maleate. Each 1 ml of drops contains 5 mg phenylephrine and 2 mg chlorpheniramine maleate.
What is the content of Maxtra P Drops ?
This P Drops contain Phenylephrine and Chlorpheniramine maleate along with paracetamol. Each 1 ml of drops contains 2.5 mg phenylephrine, 1 mg chlorpheniramine maleate and 125 mg Paracetamol.
What is the action of Maxtra Syrup ?
The action of syrup is as follows :
- Phenylephrine : Phenylephrine acts as a decongestant and it is α 1 adrenergic agonist drug which causes vasoconstriction to reduce swelling and oedema from the nose. Phenylephrine is absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and metabolised by monoamine oxidase. The bioavailability of the drug is less. It is excreted in urine in the forum of sulphate conjugate.
- Chlorpheniramine : Chlorpheniramine is an H1 receptor antagonistic drug which means it is an antihistaminic drug which is used for treatment of upper airway allergy. It is well absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. The action of chorpheniramine starts in 30 minutes, reaches maximal level in 1-2 hours and remains for 4-6 hours. It is metabolised to monodesmethyl, didesmethyl derivatives.
- Paracetamol : Paracetamol is an antipyretic and analgesic drug which is rapidly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and its action starts within 10-30 minutes of oral intake. It is primarily metabolised by the liver and excreted in urine as glucuronide and sulphate conjugates.
Maxtra P syrup, Maxtra P DS, Maxtra P drop Action
As those syrup contains paracetamol rather than phenylephrine and chlorpheniramine, they have additional antipyretic action which means they act against fever along with action against cold and allergy.
What are Maxtra Syrup uses ?
- Cold : Cold is most commonly caused by viral infection. Some patients with colds suffer from sneezing and runny nose, watery eyes. This Syrup helps to relieve nasal congestion and reduce sneezing. You can use Nasal saline drops along with this syrup to unblock the nose of your baby.
- Cold With Fever : Children have fever along with colds many times. At such times Maxtra P syrup helps to reduce fever and relieve cold symptoms as it is a combination of paracetamol with decongestant.
- Flu : Flu is a viral illness caused by influenza virus. Flu patients suffer from cold and fever symptoms. So This syrup helps to relieve symptoms of flu. If your baby suffers from recurrent cold infections then it is better to vaccinate your baby with flu vaccine.
- Allergic Rhinitis : Allergic Rhinitis is an inflammation of the nasal mucosa caused by the allergens from the air. This syrup reduces inflammation of the nasal mucosa as it contains chlorpheniramine as an antiallergic agent.
What are side effects of syrup ?
The side effects are as follows
- Dry mouth
Not all side effects are seen in every patient but always try to consult your treating doctor before taking the syrup.
What are contraindications of syrup ?
Patients with following conditions should avoid to take syrup
- Hypersensitivity to Maxtra contents
- Closed angle Galucoma
- Patients taking MAO inhibitor within last 14 days
- Prostate Enlargement
Always consult your doctor if you mistakenly took syrup in the above conditions.
How to take Syrup ?
Syrup are provided with measuring caps with markings at the level of 2.5 ml, 5 ml, 7.5 ml and 10 ml.
Drops are provided with a dropper with measuring level upto 1 ml.
It is given orally as per recommended dose. It is to be taken with or without food.
- Shake the syrup bottle before use.
- Always take syrup at the proper time.
- Keep syrup out of reach of children
- Store the syrup at room termperature, do not freeze it.
- Take the syrup in the recommended dose as advised by your doctor.
What is the dose of Maxtra Syrup ?
The dose of the maxtra is to be taken as advised by your doctor :
The dose for children between 2 year to 5 year is 2.5 ml 8 hourly.
The dose for children between 5 year to 11 year is 5 ml 8 hourly.
The dose for children above 11 years is 10 ml 8 hourly.
|Age of Baby
|Dosage of Maxtra Syrup Every 8 Hour
The dose of Maxtra drops for babies below 1 year is 0.5 ml 8 hourly.
The dose of Maxtra drops for babies between 1 year to 2 year is 1 ml 8 hourly.
|Age of the baby
|Dosage of Maxtra Drops every 8 Hour
|Below 1 year
|1 year to 2 Year
The duration of the treatment is most of the time for 3-4 days. But always follow the advice of your doctor before giving syrup to your baby.
Paracetamol containing syrup are to be given in the same dose as Maxtra.
- Give syrup to your baby with the help of measuring cap provided with syrup bottle.
- Use dropper provided with drops for babies less than 1 year to give medicine.
- Keep the measuring cap and dropper clean by washing it throughly after use.
- If baby spits out syrup immediately after giving it then give the dose of syrup again after 10-15 minutes.
What precautions to take while taking Maxtra ?
- During Driving : You must avoid to take syrup if you have to drive as it can cause dizziness to some extent or you have to avoid driving.
- During Pregnancy : Always consult your treating doctor before taking syrup.
- During Breastfeeding : If you are breastfeeding your baby, then you must first consult your baby’s doctor whether to take the syrup or not.
- Liver Disease & Kidney Disease : Consultation call with your doctor is very much important before taking syrup in liver and Kidney Disease
- Alcohol consumption : You must avoid to drink alcohol as it will increase dizziness which is very harmful.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Maxtra Syrup used for cough ?
This syrup is used for cold treatment so it is not used for the treatment of cough. But to some extent syrup ingredients give relief from the cough.
What is the difference between maxtra syrup and maxtra drops ?
Drops are useful in babies less than 2 years of age while syrup is useful in children more than 2 years of age. Drops 1 ml concentration of contents is the same as syrup 5 ml concentration.
What is the difference between maxtra syrup and maxtra p syrup ?
Maxtra P syrup contains paracetamol in addition to plain syrup contents. So it can be used for fever with cold patients.
Is maxtra syrup safe for infants ?
As this syrup has sedative action, it must not be used in infants. Always consult your doctor before giving such syrup. Drops can be used instead of syrup.
Is Maxtra syrup an antibiotic ?
This syrup is not an antibiotic. It is a anticold medicine used for the treatment of runny nose.
Is Maxtra Syrup is used for fever treatment ?
This syrup is not meant for the treatment of the fever in babies. But paracetamol containing syrups are used in the treatment of cold with fever.
Can Maxtra Syrup used for adults ?
Adults can take this syrup but they have to take higher dose like 10 ml so it is not quite sufficient for adults. Better to take anticold tablet for the treatment of the cold.