What is Maxtra P syrup ?
Maxtra P syrup is anti congestant syrup which is used for treatment of cold, blocked nose, sneezing, and watery eyes in children. Maxtra P syrup is manufactured by Zuventus Healthcare Ltd Company.
What is the content of Maxtra P Syrup ?
Maxtra P Syrup contains Phenylephrine, Chlorpheniramine and paracetamol. Each 5 ml of syrup contains 5 mg Phenylephrine, 1 mg Chlorpheniramine and 125 mg Paracetamol.
What is Action of Maxtra P syrup ?
Maxtra P syrup has the following action according to the contents.
- Phenylephrine : Phenylephrine is one of the decongestant agent and alpha 1 adrenergic agonist drug which has the main function of vasoconstriction of vessels of the respiratory tract which ultimately reduces swelling and edema from the nose. Phenylephrine is absorbed from the intestinal tract and metabolized by monoamine oxidase and excreted in the urine.
- Chlorpheniramine : Chlorpheniramine is an H1 receptor antagonist which is one of the anti allergen drugs used for the treatment of respiratory tract allergy. It is absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and its action starts in 30 minutes and it remains for 4-6 hours.
- Paracetamol : Paracetamol is an analgesic and antipyretic agent which reduces prostaglandin synthesis and reduces temperature of the body. Paracetamol is absorbed from the intestinal tract and metabolized by the liver.
What are Maxtra P Syrup uses ?
Maxtra P Syrup uses are as follow :
- Upper Respiratory Tract Infection : Upper respiratory tract infection is mostly caused by viruses in children. These patients have runny noses, sneezing and watery eyes. Maxtra P helps to relieve congestion from the nose and it also reduces sneezing as it contains antihistaminic drug in it. If you use nasoclear or nasomist nasal drop along with Maxtra P then it will help your baby to get rid of blocked nose early.
- Fever with Cold : As Maxtra P Syrup contains Paracetamol which helps to reduce fever in the children and with added benefit, it helps to reduce nasal congestion and sneezing in the children.
- Flu : Influenza virus is responsible for the flu in children. It has symptoms of high grade fever with nasal congestion. Maxtra P helps to reduce symptoms associated with flu.
- Allergic Rhinitis : Sometimes allergens get inhaled in the nose which causes excess sneezing in the children and watery discharge from the nose. Maxtra P contains an antiallergen agent which reduces symptoms of allergic rhinitis.
What are side effects of Maxtra P Syrup ?
- Dry Mouth
All these side effects are not seen in each patient. If a patient suffers from any of these side effects then he must consult his treating doctor as early as possible.
What are contraindications of Maxtra P Syrup ?
Patients with following conditions must avoid to take Maxtra P
- Hypersensitivity to syrup contents
- Closed angle Glaucoma
- Patient taking MAO Inhibitor since 14 days
- Prostate Enlargement
How to Give Maxtra P Syrup to Your Baby ?
Maxtra P Syrup is provided with a calibrated measuring cap with marking at 2.5ml, 5 ml, 7.5 ml and 10 ml level.
You must give the Maxtra P Syrup Dose to your baby as per your doctor’s prescription. It can be given with or without food.
- Always shake the syrup bottle before use.
- Give syrup at proper time as prescribed.
- Keep syrup bottles out of reach of the children.
- Keep the Syrup bottle at room temperature and do not freeze it.
- Give the proper dose as prescribed by your doctor.
What is the dose of Maxtra P Syrup ?
The dose of the Maxtra P Syrup is given as prescribed by the doctor.
The dose of Maxtra P Syrup for children between 2 years to 5 years of age if 2.5 ml 8 hourly.
The dose of Maxtra P Syrup for children between 5 years to 11 years of age if 5 ml 8 hourly.
The dose of Maxtra P Syrup for children above 11 years is 10 ml 8 hourly.
The duration of treatment is mostly for 3-4 days. Always follow the advice of your doctor while giving syrup to your baby.
|Age of Baby||Dosage of Maxtra P Syrup Every 8 Hour|
|2 Year||2.5 ml|
|3 Year||2.5 ml|
|4 Year||2.5 ml|
|5 Year||5 ml|
|6 Year||5 ml|
|7 Year||5 ml|
|8 Year||5 ml|
|9 Year||5 ml|
|10 Year||5 ml|
|11 Year||5 ml|
- Give a Syrup dose with the help of a calibrated measuring cap provided.
- Always keep the measuring cap clean after use.
- If the baby spits out syrup immediately, then you can give another dose of syrup after 10-15 minutes later.
What precautions to take while taking Maxtra P Syrup ?
- During Driving : You must avoid taking syrup if you have to drive as it can cause dizziness to some extent or you have to avoid driving.
- During Pregnancy : Always consult your treating doctor before taking syrup.
- During Breastfeeding : If you are breastfeeding your baby, then you must first consult your baby’s doctor whether to take the syrup or not.
- Liver Disease & Kidney Disease : Consultation call with your doctor is very much important before taking maxtra in liver and Kidney Disease
- Alcohol consumption : You must avoid drinking alcohol as it will increase dizziness which is very harmful.
Above Precautions are applicable if the syrup is taken by adults.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between Maxtra syrup and Maxtra P syrup ?
Maxtra P contains Paracetamol which helps to reduce fever as well as dose of the chlorpheniramine is also low then Maxtra syrup.
Can Maxtra P Syrup be used for the cough ?
Maxtra P Syrup contains antihistaminic agent Chlorpheniramine which helps to reduce cough.
What age can you take Maxtra P syrup?
You can give Maxtra P Syrup to your baby above 2 years of age. Always give a dose of the syrup as prescribed by your doctor.
Does Maxtra P Syrup make babies sleep?
Maxtra P Syrup contains chlorpheniramine which is one of the anti histaminic drugs which make babies sleep to some extent.
Can I give Maxtra P Syrup to a 1 year old baby ?
No. You can use Maxtra P drops instead of Maxtra P syrup for babies less than 1 year of age. Give the proper dose as prescribed by your doctor.