Cital syrup is one of the widely used urine alkalizer syrup in treatment of urinary tract infection. This syrup is commonly prescribed medicine by urologists. Lets understand essential information about this syrup.
What is cital syrup ?
It is one of the urine alkalizer syrup which is used for the treatment of urinary tract infection and gout. This syrup contains disodium hydrogen citrate. It is manufactured by Indoco remedies pvt ltd.
The syrup bottle is to be stored at a temperature less than 30 degree Celsius. Do not keep it in the refrigerator.
What is the action of cital syrup?
It is one of the alkalizer syrup which increases pH of the urine which makes urine more alkaline and ultimately due to which uric acid gets excreted in urine. So the level of uric acid in blood as well as urine reduces and pain associated with gout and uti reduces.
How to take cital syrup ?
As the syrup contains disodium hydrogen citrate, it tastes very alkaline. So instead of taking it directly, take the dose of the syrup advised by your doctor in 1 cup of water, so it will become palatable and also reduce the gastric irritation. You can take the syrup with or without food. You can take syrup 8 hourly means three times a day.
If you have missed a dose of the syrup then you can take the dose immediately or if the next dose time is near then it is better to take the next dose. Syrup bottles are available in 100 ml or 200 ml packs.
What are the side effects of cital syrup?
This syrup does not cause much more significant side effects. But the most common side effect caused by cital syrup is gastric irritation. Sometimes nausea, vomiting, and frequency of urination are seen. If you suffer from any kind of allergic reaction after consumption of the syrup, you must consult your doctor immediately.
What precautions to take while taking cital syrup?
- Hyperkalemia – Hyperkalemia means increase in serum potassium level of the blood. Potassium is essential for the function of heart and nerve cells. But this syrup is responsible for an increase in potassium levels of blood. So if you are already suffering from hyperkalemia you must avoid taking syrup.
- During Pregnancy – It is always better to consult your doctor before starting cital syrup in pregnancy.
- During Breastfeeding – There is no significant effect of syrup over breastfeeding. Still you must consult your pediatrician doctor before use.
- Alcohol consumption – Always consult your doctor before using syrup with alcohol consumption.
- Driving – This syrup does not have any effect on driving ability so you can use it but if you suffer from any side effect, you should avoid driving.
- Kidney disease – If you are suffering from kidney disease, then the dose of the syrup needs to be adjusted according to the stage of your renal disease. So always consult your doctor before using this syrup with kidney disease.
- Liver disease – Always consult your doctor before taking this syrup if you are suffering from liver disease.
What are Cital syrup uses ?
It is most commonly used for Renal problems like Urinary tract infection and Kidney stone. It is also used in treatment of the gout.
Action of Cital Syrup for urine infection is flushing out of bacteria from the urine as well as it alkalise urine so there is no difficulty in urination for patient.
What is Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) ?
Urinary tract infection is infection of the urinary tract means infection of urethra, urinary bladder, ureter or kidney. You should know the structure of the urinary tract. Most commonly in mild UTI, urethra and urinary bladder is involved. In severe infection, ureter and kidneys are involved.
Symptoms of urinary tract infection are Frequent urge for urination, Burning sensation at the time of urination, Cola colour of urine, pain in pelvic region of the abdomen. Depending upon the site of infection, we may see signs in uti patient.
If urethra is involved, there is burning urination.
If urinary bladder is involved, there is pelvic region pain, frequency of urination and blood in the urine.
If kidneys are involved there is high grade fever with chills and pain in lumbar region, nausea and vomiting.
Most common bacteria responsible for urinary tract infection is Escherichia coli.
UTI is most commonly seen in females due to short urethra of the females. As the female urethra is short, bacteria from anus or vagina easily invade urinary tract which lead to urinary tract infection.
Other factors which are responsible for urinary tract infection are kidney stone, recurrent catheter use, low immune power.
What is gout ?
Gout is an arthritis disease in which there is formation of uric acid crystals in joints which lead to pain, redness and swelling around that joint. Most common joint involved in gout is the big toe.
- Shake the syrup bottle well before taking each dose of the syrup.
- Drink plenty of water when you are suffering from urinary tract infection or gout.
- Avoid food rich in oxalates like beet, spinach, chocolate, tea, as those are responsible for the uric acid retention in the blood which is responsible for gout and kidney stone.
- Always check the expiry date on the bottle before consumption of syrup.
- Consult your doctor for how long you have to take treatment.
Frequently asked questions
Can Diabetic take cital syrup for urine infection ?
Cital syrup is sugar free syrup so diabetic patients can use this syrup. But it is always better to consult your doctor before starting syrup as every patient has a different history.
What is the minimum duration between two doses of cital syrup ?
Minimum duration between two doses of syrup must be 8 hour. So you can take the syrup thrice daily.
Can I take cital syrup immediately after taking milk ?
Milk will make your stomach content alkaline. This syrup is also an alkalizer. So it is better to wait for 15-30 minutes after consumption of milk for cital syrup consumption.
Can I take other tablets with cital syrup ?
This syrup will not have much more interaction with other drugs, so you can take other tablets along with this syrup. Keep a gap of 15 minutes between consumption. Better to consult your doctor if you are already on other medicine.
How many times a day you can take Cital syrup ?
You can take syrup 8 hourly like morning afternoon and evening. It is alkaliser so it do not have more side effects.
Can we use Cital syrup in Pregnancy ?
You can safely use syrup in pregnancy as its only function is to alkanise urine. It does not have any impact on fetus.
Is Cital syrup is good for urine infection or Yeast infection ?
This syrup is not meant for treatment of urine infection but it helps in flushing out of bacteria of urine infection from the urine.
If I drink Cital syrup mistakenly what will happen ?
If you have taken syrup mistakenly, it will not affect your function. So do not worry but always try to use medicines after confirmation of medicine name and dose.
Ref – Netmeds