As the name of the disease suggests, you may have come to understand that Hand Foot and Mouth Disease involves the body parts of the hands, feet and mouth. As you know, it is a type of viral disease that causes symptoms on the hands, feet, and mouth.
So, let’s find out the necessary information about this disease. It is a type of viral disease in which fever, red rash mainly on hand and feet. There are also skin rashes on the face and sometimes on the thighs and abdomen.
Hand foot and mouth disease usually affects children under the age of five. It also affects older people. The disease is spread by the Coxsackie virus.
How hand foot and mouth diseases spreads?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease is a contagious disease which is spread by contact. Therefore, it is very important for everyone to wash their hands thoroughly with soap if they have this disease at home.
The disease is spread by the following reasons.
1) Due to sneezing or coughing of the patient, the virus in his saliva is spread in the air and it falls on any object. If the object is touched by a healthy person, it can spread in the body of a healthy person.
2) Exposure to saliva in the air can spread the virus through the nostrils of a healthy person.
3) Infection can also occur due to indirect contact with the patient’s stool. Infection can also be caused by exposure to the fluid coming out of the patient’s acne area.
The disease mainly occurs in summer and early rainy season.
What are the symptoms of hand foot and mouth disease?
The symptoms of hand foot and mouth disease are initially fever, headache and chills. Acne mainly affects people in one to two days. These rashes are caused by red blisters. Such acne mainly affects the limbs.
This type of blister also occurs in the mouth and there is a rash on the area. There are many ulcers, mainly on the gums, tongue and inside of the cheeks as well as on the palate. This makes it difficult for the baby to swallow the food. So the baby does not eat properly.
The baby is very irritable. The baby is salivating a lot. The baby lie down without eating anything.
How hand, foot and mouth diseases is diagnosed?
Hand, foot and mouth disease is diagnosed through a physical examination of the baby. Doctors diagnose disease based on your child symptoms. A throat swab test is performed to confirm the diagnosis. But this investigation is rarely done.
What is treatment of hand foot and mouth disease?
This disease is cured in seven to eight days. The doctor can prescribe treatment to your child according to his symptoms.
The baby is given a drug called paracetamol or ibuprofen to reduce the fever and headache. Paracetamol is given to your child in the dose of 15 mg/kg. Paracetamol is one of the safe drug against fever but always try to use it on the advice of your doctor.
- Some lotions can be given to reduce acne on the body.
- Medicines are given to reduce cold and cough.
- Gels can be applied to the area for mouth ulcers.
The following types of advice can be given by a doctor.
- Give the baby plenty of water.
- They can also give the baby a cold drink or ice cream. But it should also be avoided if the baby has a cold cough.
- The baby should not be given hot food. Also avoid spicy and salty foods.
- When parents take care of their baby, they should clean their baby’s nose, wash their hands with soap after changing the baby’s diaper. So that the infection does not spread to other people in the household.
- Baby clothes as well as utensils need to be kept separate. It is very important to keep the baby’s toys as well as the parts of the house that come in frequent contact clean.
- The child should not be sent to school until the rash is completely dry.
The baby may need to be admitted to the hospital for any of the below symptoms.
- When the baby does not eat or drink anything, the baby’s body begins to dehydrate and the baby becomes lethargic.
- If the baby has a fever for more than three days and the baby does not eat by mouth
- If the baby has other complications of the disease,
What are the complications of hand, foot and mouth disease?
Complications of this disease are dehydration, viral meningitis, encephalitis.
The disease heals on its own in seven to ten days. It is very important to take good care of your child at home. If you take good care and consult a doctor in time, there is no time to be get admitted to the hospital.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can hand, foot and mouth disease occur twice?
Yes, the disease can occur in two or more times. The disease is caused by different viruses. Therefore, the disease is caused by a different virus every time.
Can hand, foot and mouth disease cause meningitis?
Hand, foot and mouth diseases are viral but very rarely can cause meningitis in the children.
Does Hand, foot and mouth disease affect parents if the baby is infected?
The disease is contagious and can be transmitted from baby to parent without special care. It can also be passed on to children by parents.
How many days can the virus of hand, foot and mouth disease stay on the surface?
The hand, foot and mouth disease virus stays on the surface for many days. Therefore, maintaining cleanliness reduces the spread of the disease.
Hand foot and mouth disease is a viral disease that can take 5-7 days to heal. So if the parents take proper care of their child, there is no time to be admitted to the hospital.
Overall, cleanliness is very much important if you suffer from the disease or not.
If you like hand foot and mouth disease article, then please share it or comment if you have any questions