When a baby is born, the parents take great care of the baby’s health. However, sometimes some things happen to the baby unknowingly, one of which is diaper rash in babies
What is a diaper rash in babies ?
A red rash on a baby’s buttock is called a diaper rash in newborn baby.
Diaper rash is also called Contact Dermatitis or Diaper Dermatitis. Diaper rash usually occurs in about 30 to 40 percent of babies. Diaper rash can occur in the first week after birth and can be seen up to a three-year-old baby.
What causes diaper rash in newborn baby ?
The reason for this is hidden in the name of diaper rash. Diaper rash in newborn baby is also called contact dermatitis because the baby’s back area turns red when it comes in contact with the diaper.
- When the baby wets in the diaper, the skin on the area starts to become irritated due to some of the substances in the poo and the redness of the area increases.
- When the baby urinates and the diaper overflows, the area stays moist, which also causes redness in the area.
- If the size of the diaper is small, it always touches the baby’s skin, so the area becomes irritated and red.
- Even if the diaper area is infected with the fungus, the area turns red. The fungus, mainly Candida albicans, spreads the infection.
- If the baby is allergic to diapers or soap used for washing nappies, such a rash may appear.
What are the symptoms of diaper dermatitis?
The symptoms of diaper dermatitis are different for different causes.
- Contact diaper dermatitis
The redness and shine on the area where the diaper is touched. It also spreads below umbilicus.
- Candida diaper dermatitis
In such dermatitis, bright red rash on the baby’s buttock and white spots in the baby’s mouth.
- Seborrheic Diaper Dermatitis
Red and yellowish rash appear on the back of the baby and red rash appear on the sweaty areas like armpits and thighs.
How is diaper rash diagnosed?
Doctors diagnose diaper rash on the basis of physical examination. Other tests are not needed to diagnose.In some cases, the doctor may ask for a stool examination.
What are the treatments for diaper rash in newborn baby ?
1. The most important thing is cleanliness. Keep baby diapers clean and dry immediately. When caring for a baby, wash your hands thoroughly with soap. So that the baby does not get another infection.
2. Anti-fungal dusting powder– Anti-fungal dusting powder can also be used in the armpits and under the neck to help reduce fungal infections.
3. Washing powder or soap should not be left on the nappy as it may cause a reaction on the baby’s thigh and the area may turn red.
4. If the baby has a lot of rash, use anti-fungal powder or anti-fungal cream (Diaper rash cream) as advised by your doctor. When applying cream, do not rub it too much and leave it for at least half an hour.
5. Always avoid using diapers. But if for some reason diapers have to be used, keep the baby without diapers for a while so that the area becomes airy and the chances of infection are reduced.
6. Bathe the baby with lukewarm water and after bathing dry the baby’s buttock area and sprinkle anti fungal dusting powder over it.
7. If the baby is having fever and loose motions along with diaper rash then it is always better to consult your pediatrician.
Frequently Asked Questions
What cream should be used to reduce diaper rash?
One can use anti fungal cream to reduce diaper rash. But steroid creams should be used only on the advice of a doctor. Alovera is also used to reduce diaper rash.
When to worry more about diaper rash?
When the diaper rash spreads below the ankles and near the knees, it is important to consult a doctor immediately.
Does the breast milk beneficial in reducing diaper rash?
Breast milk is beneficial but sometimes not beneficial in case of lactose intolerance.
How to reduce diaper rash immediately?
Diaper rash can be reduced quickly due to anti-fungal cream but it is important to apply it properly.
Why does the baby have frequent diaper rash?
If the baby has frequent diarrhea, the baby may have recurrent diaper rash.
Can Vaseline be used for diaper rash?
Vaseline can be used for diaper rash. Vaseline reduces the itching of the baby in that area.
Does applying coconut oil on diaper rash work?
Coconut oil is not used to reduce diaper rash but it does reduce itching.
Is diaper rash painful?
Diaper rash is not painful, but it is an itch on the area of the skin which is painful due to which the baby cries.
Can we use a diaper wipe when there is a diaper rash?
Avoid using wipes when the diaper rash is active as it increases the irritation of the area due to the chemicals in it.
After reading all the above information, you will know exactly what to do when your baby has a diaper rash. However, if you have any questions about diaper rash in babies, you can comment below. If you like this article about diaper rash in newborn baby, share this article with your friends.